Like a Pizza night!
Or to be even more picky, I want a Calzone. A scrumptious, delicious Calzone… (Drooling at the thought.)
I love the ones they have at Pizza Hut, but I don’t want to pay that much for just one when I should share with my husband and daughter as well. Then it hit me: MAKE THEM.
Now here is how I differ from most calzone recipes. I always believed in making with NO sauce in the middle, but rather dip the calzone in sauce.
Very hard to find a recipe with it.
But I found one that I like enough, and I say, you can do it either way. Cook it with sauce in it, or leave the sauce out and dip. Your choice.
(Found at www.5dollardinners.com)
1 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp sugar
1 package yeast
1 cup spaghetti or pizza sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
About 40 pepperonis
1 Tbsp olive oil
Couple shakes of garlic salt
Place the first 9 ingredients into bread machine on dough cycle. By hand instructions for pizza dough can be found here.
1. Once the dough cycle is complete, place the dough on a clean, floured surface.
2.Knead into a ball.
3. Divide the dough into 2 balls.
4. Further divide into 4 balls.
5. And divide one more time into 8 little dough balls. (From here, I took 2 of these dough balls and made them into 4, so that I could make “mini-calzones” for the boys.)
6. Roll out the dough balls into rectangular-oval-ish shapes. Place onto greased baking sheets.
7.Place a few pepperonis onto one half of the dough.
8. Top with some sauce, cheese and more pepperonis.
9. Fold the other half over.
10. Pinch the edges together.
11. And mash the edges together with a fork. (This step is not necessary, but I like to do it to prevent the sauce from leaking out!)
12. Brush the top with olive oil.
13. Sprinkle garlic salt on top.
14. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Now, these are simple, but look delicious! Definitely worth a shot! I love how the www.5dollardinners.com site shows step by step. This makes it very useful.
Again, I cook without the sauce in, but feel free to put the sauce in like they did. It works either way.
Now, time to go munch!